Friday, June 1, 2007

Here's Another Couple


I just started reading The Creative License, by Danny Gregory. The initial instructions resemble those in Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. The first assignment was to draw a chair, a mug, a table and a person -- in ink, no do-overs. I jumped in and started.
.......
As with the previous day's EDM challenge (see previous post), I was pleased with the outcome. Done with "good ole ballpoint pen" (black ink, though one looks blue) in my sketchbook. I'm taking photos of these to upload, because my scanner isn't installed properly and I don't know how to fix it. Again, they had to be adjusted for brightness, contrast and saturation to show up well -- hence the varying color.
......
I ran out of energy before I got the desk chair on its legs (HAH!). The mug and table are still so dark, I think I'll try shooring them again before posting. Well, maybe I won't post them at all, especially the table, which wound up with too many legs (darn that ink!). The person is Katie Armiger, up-and-coming young singer with her first album coming out soon, from a photo in the Houston Chronicle (also posted). In the few faces I've drawn, I seem to have a knack for getting them too wide. But this one's better in that regard than the last, and some of the distortion is from the hand-held camera.
......
Anyhooo, I feel like I'm off and running. I've taken a couple of art/drawing classes over the years, but now that I'm picking it up again on my own, I'm actually having fun with the process. Yeah!

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Thanks for your comments on my drawing. I'm also reading “The Creative License” right now and feeling inspired by it! I also find it hard to use the(uncorrectable and unforgiving) ink pen rather than a pencil, but I’m going to try it today. I particularly like your chair and weight drawings. Looking forward to seeing more of your work…and love your blog name.

Kerstin Klein said...

Hi Linda, I´ve got that book too, but haven´t managed to read it yet.

Thanks for commenting on the contest on my blog. Here are the answers to your questions:
The artist will retain copyright to the artworks we use.
concerning the artwork: actually the publishers are searching for more general artwork. they specially want to see different ideas by the individuaal artists. so any motives about literature, text, weblogs, writing processes, etc will be fine.
of course this free description makes it more difficult for the artists to come up with ideas, but there will be more space for creativity this way. ;)

Linda said...

Sharon -- Thanks... Glad somebody got it! Thanks for your comments on the drawings. More to come.